Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pokemon: Malamar


For this update we have something from one of my favorite series of games. That's right, Pokemon! I wanted to try something different, both in subject matter and the style of drawing. After a whole year I'll be taking an art class again so I was looking for some projects that were a bit more manageable and could be finished  casually. The biggest barrier to my drawing outside of classes has been the amount of time and frustration involved in getting something that looks presentable. So this was my attempt at solving that problem.

It's been a long time since I've played a Pokemon game, at least not since Platinum came out in 2009.  The new X&Y games have really sucked me back in though. GameFreak made a lot of updates that took away a considerable amount of grinding that was involved with breeding and training a competitive team as well as adding better (but objectively still not great) online functionality. Of all the new Pokemon added, Malamar was definitely the one I was most excited about. I've always wanted them to make a true squid Pokemon and to make things better it was given the very cool Dark/Psychic typing. The only pitfall is Malamar's stats are pretty garbage, although that didn't prevent it from seeing a lot of play in my in-game team.

I still have a backlog of 2-3 of those Magic cardbacks that remain unfinished so I don't plan to discontinue those but after finishing that most recent one I'm putting the others on a bit of a hiatus. I've already have one other Pokemon in the works I'll decline from giving an estimate of when I'll get that published. Shot myself in the foot once to often doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment